We are involved in many research studies that include registries and clinical drug trials. Some of these studies are with external pharmaceutical companies from across the globe. Some are in-house studies in cooperation with various universities.
Areas of research include:
- Inherited metabolic disorders
- Enzyme replacement therapies
- Neurometabolic disorders
- Newborn screening
- Phase I - IV clinical trials
- Disease registries
- Nutrition and metabolism
Our IMD research team works very closely with our research and development nursing team, Clinical Research Network nurses and Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility/National Institute of Health Research to promote high quality clinical research with an emphasis on experimental and translational research innovation and early phase clinical trials. We strive to improve the diagnosis and treatment of metabolic conditions by offering the best research opportunities for our patients eligible for certain studies. Our IMD research team provides cutting edge, patient centred specialised support to patients, families, staff, academic and clinical researchers across the West Midlands in the set-up and conduct of paediatric research studies.
Our aims are to:
- Provide a high quality child-friendly environment in which children and their families can take part in clinical research
- Translate research into clinical care
- Promote research within the NHS
- Support all suitable study types across difference specialties by all professionals
- Be a leader in research education
- Most importantly, to learn more about the conditions we treat in order to improve the lives of the young people we treat
For more information on research as a whole at the Trust, please visit the research and development page.