We are committed to ensuring that our children, women and families receive excellent communication throughout their journey with us, regardless of which language they speak.
Our Interpreting team, made up of linkworkers, on-site interpreters and bank interpreters, is available in both hospitals and in the local community from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8.00am and 5.00pm. Outside of these hours, we offer a 24-hour telephone interpreting service, called Language Line.
For interpreting where we cannot use one of our in-house providers, we use a professional interpreting agency face-to-face service and a telephone service for out-of-hours or when an interpreter is unable to attend an appointment.
If you think you may need an interpreter, please let the department you are visiting know well in advance of your appointment so that one can be arranged. Please note the telephone service is always available should you ever require it and does not need to be booked in advance.
Our bank interpreters
We have an interpreting team which provides a number of other more common languages such as Arabic, Somali, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Mirpuri, Bengali, Sylheti and Romanian.
Our link workers and permanent on-site interpreters are:
- Link worker: Siham Muqbil is fluent in Arabic - 0121 333 5286 / 07581 30695 for the women’s only
- Link worker: Jagdish Kaur is fluent in Hindi, Urdu and Punjabi - 0121 333 5286 / 07974 669301
- On-site: Iram Ali is fluent in Urdu and Mirpuri – 07769 241610
Enquiries and additional support
Our office is open from 08:30 to 16:30
For enquiries about interpreting or additional support at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital, please contact
- Carla Johnson- Interpreting Services Manager on 0121 333 8015
- Ela Erika Ortega – Interpreting co-ordinator on 0121 333 8015 / 07919 173281
- Siham Muqbil – Fulltime Linkworker (Arabic) on 0121 333 5286 / 07581 306954
Or email the Interpreting Services team on email@example.com
If you are a patient requiring interpreting services please make staff aware prior to your next appointment. Please contact your relevant department and inform them that an interpreter will be needed.
At our Women’s Hospital, we have two permanent members of Interpreting Services staff, called Linkworkers, who support our women, men and families with their language needs. To arrange an interpreter for an upcoming appointment, please contact Siham Muqbil on 0121 333 5286 / 07581 306954 or the team co-ordinator Ela Ortega on 0121 333 8015 / 07919 173281
Our Linkworkers will help and support you with:
- History booking
- Preparing your personal birth plan
- Explaining tests and procedures
- Explaining consent to procedures and ensure your understanding in agreeing your consent
- Supporting you with home visits with your community midwife, both before and after the birth of your baby
- Post-natal visits
At the Children’s Hospital, we have one permanent on-site member of Interpreting Services staff and bank interpreters, who support our children, young people and families with their language needs. To arrange an interpreter for an upcoming appointment, please contact the team co-ordinator Ela Ortega on 0121 333 8015 / 07919 173281
Our Interpreters will help and support with:
- Interpreting face-to-face and over the telephone
- Cultural support/advice for children and families during visits and hospital stays
- Liaising with and access to hospital services
- Networking including links with community groups