Our Emergency Department is currently extremely busy
Our Emergency Department is in high demand
Our Emergency Department is currently extremely busy. To support our team during this time please only visit us if your child is seriously unwell.
If not, you can get medical help by contacting your GP, calling the NHS 111 service or heading to 111.nhs.uk and completing the online questionnaire (for those aged five and over).
For advice and information on Strep A, including a symptom checker and advice on which NHS service is the best to help you and your family should you need it, please visit the NHS website.
Our Emergency Department (ED) treats children from newborn to 15 years old. Any child attending after their 16th birthday will be redirected to an adult ED providing they are stable and safe to do so.
Children aged 16 and above who are under ongoing care of specialist teams at our Children's Hospital and yet to transition to adult services will continue to be seen at our Emergency Department if their presenting issue on the day relates to their ongoing care.
All patients under the care of Forward Thinking Birmingham who are 16 or over will be redirected to an adult ED where they can access Crisis services
To stop any potential spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and other infections all adults visiting our Emergency Department should:
- Wear a face mask throughout their time on site.
- Wash hands and use the hand sanitiser provided at stations regularly while with us.
- Maintain at least a two-metre distance from other people wherever possible.
- Follow directional signs in the department in place at all times.
- Respect our teams who are working hard to care for everyone during this busy period.
Thank you for your support and continued understanding.