Dr Martin English
Consultant Paediatric Oncologist
Dr English mainly looks after children with brain and spinal tumours, and teenagers and young adults monitored for late effects of cancer treatment in childhood. He can be seen on our Oncology and Neurosurgical wards and Oncology Clinic and the Late Effects Clinic at University Hospital, Birmingham.
Dr English is also the Chemotherapy Lead for the Hospital and Lead Clinician for the Neuro-oncology Multidisciplinary team, as well as a member of the Trust’s Drug and Therapeutics and Medication Incident Committees. He has previously been Chair of the Drug and Therapeutics Committee (2006-2012), Clinical Lead for Oncology (2003-2010), and Associate Chief Medical Officer for Quality (2010-13).
0121 333 8412
Professional and research interests
- Paediatric oncology
- Clinical service improvement and clinical governance. Dr English is a member of the Clinical Reference Group for Children’s Cancer to NHS England, and is an advisor on children’s chemotherapy for the Systemic Anti-Cancer Data Set collected by the National Cancer Information Service
- Part of Professor Peet’s functional imaging group
- Investigator in international trials of treatment for ependymoma, the second most common malignant brain tumour of childhood
- A member of the UK Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group. He was secretary of CCLG between 2009 and 2012
- Medical advisor to ConTACT magazine, which is produced for the parents of children with cancer for 10 years
- Supported research nationally as a reviewer of chemotherapy schedules in national research trials and as a member of the monitoring committee for other trials.