Information for professionals
The Health in Mind team works with children and families where the child’s physical health condition is directly causing psychological difficulties, or where pre-existing psychological difficulties or learning disabilities are impacting on a health condition and/or its assessment and treatment - where the primary liaison and working relationships are with the medical and surgical teams within the hospital.
- The child or young person has a physical health condition
- The child or young person is an inpatient or regular outpatient
- Referral is for a parent/carer looking after a child with a physical health condition
- The child or young person has psychological difficulties caused by or impacting on their health condition
- The child or young person has a learning disability which impacts on their access to health care or treatment
- Other appropriate services have been considered e.g. Patient Report Forms (PRFs), Play and Youth Services, appropriate community based services
We do not:
- See children who are not under the regular care of the Children's hospital
- Carry out neurodevelopmental assessments (Autism Spectrum Disorder or ADHD)
- Offer support for headaches or migraines, unless all other services have been involved and exhausted
- Offer support for constipation, unless all other services have been involved and exhausted, and the young person has been previously discussed with us
We are involved in a number of research projects in conjunction with other teams around the hospital.