Our midwife-led unit offers a 'home-from-home' environment for women in good general health with an uncomplicated pregnancy to have their baby. Midwives are experienced in helping women to feel confident and to use their skills in supporting you to give birth normally, using options such as hydrotherapy (birthing pool), aromatherapy, massage and gas and air for both comfort and pain management.
At the start of your pregnancy the midwife will agree with you what type of care you would like based on your preferences and previous medical and pregnancy history.
If your pregnancy is more complex, or you have had a previous caesarean birth, you will usually be advised to plan to give birth in our Delivery Suite, where there are specialist obstetric, midwifery and anaesthetic staff on hand.
We'd recommend our Birth Centre if:
- You have an uncomplicated pregnancy
- You are 37-42 weeks into your pregnancy
- Your BMI is within the normal range at the start of your pregnancy
- You are between 16-40 years of age
- You are not anaemic (iron level is more than 90 grams/dl)
- Your baby has developed normally and is head down
- Your waters break and are clear in colour
- Your placenta is in the normal place for delivery
- You ideally start your labour naturally (should you need to be induced and you need no more additional help then the Birth Centre is still can option for you as long as you are within 42 weeks)
- Your blood pressure is normal blood pressure and your urine is free from protein