Information for patients of the Cochlear Implant department during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Currently, reception is staffed between 8am and 2pm on weekdays. If you leave a message we will call you back but it might be the next working day. The number is 0121 204 3830.
- For parents and carers who are unable to use the telephone, our text number is 07825 385 618
- For non-medical queries you can email us at MHIP.email@example.com
Attending in person for appointments or to collect equipment
- We are currently open, 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. This is for pre-arranged appointments and visitors only.
- Only patients who have been screened, who have pre-existing appointments, will be seen. This applies even if it is to collect spare equipment.
- Please do not attend the department for any reason if you have not arranged to do so with a member of the team.
- You will need to call us when you arrive and we will come down to meet you.
Urgent medical advice
- Please DO NOT contact the cochlear implant team for urgent medical advice during the coronavirus pandemic. We are not sufficiently staffed to help you in a timely manner.
- Between the hours of 9am to 5pm you can call Birmingham Children’s Hospital on 0121 333 9999 and ask to speak to the ENT secretarial team. They will be able to speak to a doctor and advise you what to do next.
- Outside of normal office hours the advice is the same as normal, which is either:
- Contact your out of hours GP and they will be able to call the hospital and speak to an ENT doctor on call for advice or
- Attend Birmingham Children’s Hospital Emergency Department
- Because of issues with the post, we are unable to swap Processors through special delivery as we normally would. You will need to contact us to arrange to come in and swap processors in person.
- This is because of the high value of processors (£6000) and we cannot risk them getting lost.
Please note this advice is current as of 23/06/2020.
This is a difficult time for everyone and we appreciate your
patience and understanding during this time.
Midlands Hearing Implant Programme
The Midlands Hearing Implant Programme – Children’s Service
Our Hearing Implant Programme (generally known as the Cochlear Implant team) is one of the busiest in the UK. Since 1990, more than 1,500 adults and children on our programme have benefited from hearing with cochlear implants and middle ear implants to hear, learn to talk, enjoy music and experience significantly improved quality of life.
We provide a highly specialist regional service to children and young people from across the Midlands and beyond. We aim to be a centre of excellence and all team members keep their knowledge and skills up to date through a range of activities. These include teaching, research and publication, attending and presenting at conferences and delivering training. This ensures your child receives the best and most up to date care.
We offer a holistic, flexible service and always aim to keep parents and carers at the centre of your child’s care. We are proud to be one of the few NHS services in the UK to employ and train listening and spoken language specialists (Certification AVT™).
We are a team of 18 individuals who are passionate about ensuring that all children with hearing loss have the opportunity to develop the best communication they can. Many children who are born with profound hearing loss are now able to learn to listen and talk using the most up to date amplification. For most children with profound hearing loss, the best option is cochlear implants.
Our team includes consultant ear nose and throat surgeons, nurses, audiologists, clinical scientists, auditory-verbal therapists, specialist speech and language therapists and administrators. We also work closely with colleagues in the hospital including radiology, psychology, play therapy, audiology, neurology and the anaesthetic department, amongst many others. In addition to the team at the Children’s hospital, your local team of professionals play an essential role and we work together with them to support you and your child.
We are based off site from the main Children’s hospital in our own dedicated unit, on the Aston University Campus in a building called Aston University Day Hospital, also known as Optegra. Click here for maps and directions. For SatNav, please use the postcode B4 7EH. You can park for free on the forecourt outside of our building, however please be aware that you must register your car details with us on arrival. Please note the parking area is often busy and we cannot guarantee a space.
We are routinely open 8.00am-5.00pm, Monday-Friday (except for Bank Holidays). If you need urgent medical advice related to your child’s cochlear implants outside of these hours, please attend the Emergency Department at the Children's hospital and ask to be seen by the ear, nose and throat registrar on call. Alternatively see your out-of-hours GP and they can call 0121 333 9999 and ask to speak to the ear, nose and throat registrar on call for advice.
Our adult team is based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Audiology Centre, please click here for more information.
Our address is:
The Midlands Hearing Implant Programme
Aston University Day Hospital
- You can phone us on 0121 204 3830 or text 07825 385618
- We have a secure email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- And you can follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MHIPChildrens