Our rich history
We are very proud of what our two hospitals and community services have achieved over the last 160 years.
We’ve changed the face of healthcare with pioneering research that has improved outcomes for many hundreds of thousands of women, children and families across the globe.
We have a great history of firsts. We:
- Conducted the first operation for ectopic pregnancy and caesarean section for haemorrhage in late pregnancy
- Fitted the world’s first pacemaker into a three-day-old baby
- Were the first in the world to separate twins conjoined at the spine
- Performed the first triple transplant of liver, pancreas and small bowel in the UK
- Established the first colposcopy clinic in the UK
- Established the first premature baby unit in the country
- Were the first to successfully treat two patients with over 90% burns in the UK
- Delivered the first baby born after pre-genetic implantation diagnosis
- Were the first in Europe to rebuild a section of a child’s missing spine with metal rods
- Were the first to launch a community mental health service for 0-25s – Forward Thinking Birmingham
- Were the first hospital trust in the region to appoint a Consultant in Public Health to increase our contribution to the public health agenda and prioritise the issues facing our children and young people, such as childhood obesity