Systemic practice and family therapy training
Courses are currently running using the Zoom platform until it is deemed safe by relevant employing agencies and professional bodies to resume face-to-face training. Feedback from cohorts who have completed our Zoom courses has shown Zoom to be an effective and even enjoyable method of training.
The Association for Family Therapy, as the professional accrediting body, appreciates that all courses must exercise imagination whilst remaining rigorous within the contexts of the AFT criteria (BLUE and RED BOOK) for accredited courses.
Year 1 Foundation Level in Family Therapy & Systemic Practice AFT accredited
Focuses on theories and practices that enable practitioners to understand problems, recognise resources and create and maintain solutions. Local and national speakers on a range of topics across the age range and agency base. Course usually held at Parkview Clinic, Moseley, Birmingham. The course runs on Tuesdays 2pm to 7:30pm from October to June.
Foundation course forms and guidelines
- Bursary Application Form [doc] 263KB
- Foundation Invoice Information form 2020 [doc] 148KB
- Foundation Level Application Form 2020-21 [doc] 288KB
- Foundation Level Brochure 2021-22[pdf] 188KB
- Foundation Self Funding Payment Form 2020-21 [doc] 30KB
Year 2 Intermediate Level Intermediate skills in Family Therapy & Systemic Practice AFT accredited
Focuses on participant’s own agency work with families and other relationship systems. The emphasis is on conceptual and practical skill development, and includes coursework. The teaching component of the course is held on Wednesdays 9:15am to 4:00pm and runs from October to June.
Intermediate course forms and guidelines
- Agency consent to use recorded practice material on the course [docx] 15KB
- APEL Guidelines All Post-Foundation Courses [doc] 29KB
- APL Profile and Statement of Equivalence Proforma for Intermediate Level [docx] 24KB
- Intermediate Course Application Form [doc] 307KB
- Intermediate Course Brochure 2021 [docx] 414KB
- Intermediate Invoice Information Form [doc] 148KB
- Intermediate Self Funding Payment Form [doc] 31KB
- Reference Form Intermediate Course 2020-21 [doc] 76KB
- Relevant Agency Practice and Experience, Supervision, and Consent [pdf] 338KB
Years 3 & 4 MSC in Systemic Psychotherapy validated by the University of Birmingham & AFT accredited
A two-year part-time course validated by University of Birmingham as a Masters in Systemic Psychotherapy. The course leads to qualified status through the Association for Family Therapy as a Systemic Psychotherapist, and eligibility to apply for UKCP registration though AFT.
The course is held on Thursdays 11am to 7:30pm, takes place at Parkview Clinic and Finch Road where, in addition to a programme of academic study, course members see clients under live, taped and reported supervision. Trainees have an honorary contract as a Systemic Family Therapist in Training in our community and inpatient Child Adolescent Mental Health Service.
Please note we have a biannual intake and our next intake for the MSC is September 2022.
Download the application form
MSC forms and guidelines
- Self Funding Payment Form [doc] 32KB
- APEL Guidelines All Post-Foundation Courses 2020 [doc] 29KB
- MSc 2020-22 blank invoice form [doc] 47KB
- APL Profile and Statement of Equivalence Proforma for Masters Level [docx] 24KB
- Bursary Application Form Yr 1 [doc] 267KB
- MSc 20-22 Application Form [doc] 354KB
- DVD and Audio Consent Form [docx] 1MB
1 year training programme in Systemic Supervision, Advanced Diploma in Systemic Supervision AFT accredited
The Advanced Diploma in Systemic Supervision forms part of the Birmingham Training Programme in Systemic Psychotherapy and Systemic Practice. This one year course is designed to facilitate trainees to achieve registered status defined in the 3rd edition of the AFT, RED BOOK as follows:
A registered supervisor is a qualified Family and Systemic Psychotherapist who is registered or eligible to register with UKCP as a Family and Systemic Psychotherapist and is able to:
- Supervise the clinical work of those people training for qualified family therapy status on an accredited course.
- Provide supervision to qualified family therapists as part of their continuing professional development (as described in UKCP registration criteria).
- Provide supervision of teams and staff working with families and networks or individuals wishing to work with a systemic orientation.
The course is held on Mondays (10am-5pm) and Tuesdays (9am-4pm) comprising of 4 days in level 1, 4 days level 2 and 10 days level 3.The course runs November to November.
Download the application form
Supervisions course forms and guidelines
- Blank Reference Request [docx] 17KB
- Supervision Course Application Form 20-21 [docx] 104KB
- Supervision Self Funding Payment Form 2020-21 [doc] 31KB
- Supervision course brochure 2021-2022 [docx] 529KB
Further details/enquiries please contact: Ham Hewitt, Systemic Training Programme Administrator Tel: 0121 333 9889, ask for Ham Hewitt or 0121 333 9999 ext 6921 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org - please return all applications to this email address.