Systemic practice and family therapy training
Please note our Foundation and Intermediate Courses are running face-to-face.
Our MSc and Supervision courses are currently using the Zoom platform until it is deemed safe by relevant employing agencies and professional bodies to resume face-to-face training. Feedback from cohorts who have completed our Zoom courses has shown Zoom to be an effective and even enjoyable method of training.
The Association for Family Therapy, as the professional accrediting body, appreciates that all courses must exercise imagination whilst remaining rigorous within the contexts of the AFT criteria (BLUE and RED BOOK) for accredited courses.
Year 1 Foundation Level in Family Therapy & Systemic Practice AFT accredited
Focuses on theories and practices that enable practitioners to understand problems, recognise resources and create and maintain solutions. Local and national speakers on a range of topics across the age range and agency base. The course is usually held at Midland’s Art Centre (MAC), Birmingham. The course runs on Tuesdays from 2pm to 7:30pm from October to May.
Foundation course forms and guidelines
- Bursary Application Form
- Foundation Invoice Information Form 2023
- Foundation Self-Funding Payment Form 2023-23
Year 2 Intermediate Level Intermediate skills in Family Therapy & Systemic Practice AFT accredited
Focuses on participant’s own agency work with families and other relationship systems. The emphasis is on conceptual and practical skill development and includes coursework.
Entry requirements are successful completion of an AFT accredited Foundation level Systemic training. A prior professional qualification and/or significant experience of working therapeutically directly with a wide range of clients. Please complete the Apel form if you do not hold a prior Professional Qualification. Please note you may be contacted if further information is required.
The course is usually held at Midland’s Art Centre (MAC), Birmingham. The teaching component of the course is held on Wednesdays from 9:15am to 4:00pm and runs from October to May.
Intermediate course forms and guidelines
- Agency consent to use recorded practice material on the course
- APEL Guidelines All Post-Foundation Courses
- APL Profile and Statement of Equivalence Proforma for Intermediate Level
- Intermediate Invoice Information Form 23-24
- Intermediate Self-Funding Payment Form 23-34
- Reference Form Intermediate Course 2020-21
- Relevant Agency Practice and Experience, Supervision, and Consent
Years 3 & 4 MSC in Systemic Psychotherapy validated by the University of Birmingham & AFT accredited
A two-year part-time course validated by the University of Birmingham as a Masters in Systemic Psychotherapy. The course leads to qualified status through the Association for Family Therapy as a Systemic Psychotherapist, and eligibility to apply for UKCP registration through AFT.
Entry requirements are successful completion of an AFT accredited Intermediate level Systemic training. A prior professional qualification and/or significant experience of working therapeutically directly with a wide range of clients, evidence of ongoing Systemic CPD since completion of prior level training and or embedding of systemic theory into practice. Please complete the Apel form if you do not hold a prior Professional Qualification or wish to Apel onto MSC.
The course is held on Thursdays from 11am to 7:30pm and takes place at Parkview Clinic and Finch Road where, in addition to a programme of academic study, course members see clients under live, recorded and reported supervision. Trainees have an honorary contract as a Systemic Family Therapist in Training in our community and inpatient Child Adolescent Mental Health Service.
Please note we have a biannual intake and our next intake for the MSC is September 2024.
MSC forms and guidelines
- Self-Funding Payment Form
- APEL Guidelines All Post-Foundation Courses
- MSc Blank Invoice Form
- APL Profile and Statement of Equivalence Proforma for Masters Level
- Bursary Application Form Yr 1
- DVD and Audio Consent Form
1-year training programme in Systemic Supervision, Advanced Diploma in Systemic Supervision AFT accredited
The Advanced Diploma in Systemic Supervision forms part of the Birmingham Training Programme in Systemic Psychotherapy and Systemic Practice. This one-year course is designed to facilitate trainees to achieve registered status defined in the 3rd edition of the AFT, RED BOOK as follows:
A registered supervisor is a qualified Family and Systemic Psychotherapist who is registered or eligible to register with UKCP as a Family and Systemic Psychotherapist and is able to:
- Supervise the clinical work of those people training for qualified family therapy status on an accredited course.
- Provide supervision to qualified family therapists as part of their continuing professional development (as described in UKCP registration criteria).
- Provide supervision of teams and staff working with families and networks or individuals wishing to work with a systemic orientation.
The course is held on Mondays (10am-5pm) and Tuesdays (9am-4pm) comprising of 4 days in level 1, 4 days level 2 and 10 days level 3. The course runs from November to November.
Download the application form
Supervisions course forms and guidelines
- Blank Reference Request
- Supervision Course Application Form
- Supervision Self Funding Payment Form
- Supervision Course Brochure
For further details/enquiries please contact Yasmin France via 0121 333 9999 or 0121 333 9955 ext 6939 or email: email@example.com - Please return all applications to this email address.