Birmingham Pathology Training Centre
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our NHS Trust has advised to cancel all events arranged on Trust premises for external visitors / delegates. Unfortunately this means that we will be cancelling all of our courses and room bookings until further notice. We are unable to say at this time how long these measures will be in place.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
The Birmingham Pathology Training Centre first opened in the early 1960s, inspired by Betty Attwood who was a pioneer in the field of cervical cytology, having been trained herself by George Papanicolaou in New York.
We have full NHSCSP Cervical Cytology Training Centre accreditation.
Our course calendar has expanded to deliver an extensive range of courses including gynaecological and non-gynaecological cytology, histopathology and autopsy courses for local, national and international healthcare professionals. We also provide mandatory Initial Training and Update Training for Cervical Sample (‘Smear’) Takers in the NHS Cervical Screening Programme.
We have a purpose-built Training Centre with two well-equipped seminar rooms. These rooms can be used for formal lectures and practical microscopy sessions, as well as more informal group tuition at a multiheaded microscope.
Our dedicated team of medical, technical and administrative staff provide training, support and advice to all our visitors. We also have the support of many guest lecturers who assist us in delivering a full range of subjects and workshops.
We aim to deliver a high standard of training on all our courses, providing an excellent learning experience within a friendly environment.
The Training Centre team
- Dr Anthony Williams – Director
- Dr Raji Ganesan – Deputy Director
- Maureen Frost – Manager
- Amanda Lugg – Senior Administrator
- Louise Bradley – Course Administrator
The Training Centre reserves the right to cancel courses or change a course timetable, if necessary, at short notice.
Once your course booking is confirmed please note:
- Any change to your confirmed booking will incur a £50 admin fee.
- If you need to cancel a confirmed place on one of our courses the following applies:
- More than 4 weeks notice: 50% of course fee refunded
- Less than 4 weeks notice: no refund
- Gynaecological Cytology Update Courses are currently free of charge for West Midlands regional staff. If WM staff cancel a confirmed place within two weeks of course start date a £50 admin fee applies.
Compliments or Complaints
If you have a compliment or complaint regarding the Training Centre, you can leave a message in our suggestion box, sited at the sign-in desk or email the Training Centre Manager