Our team of experts deliver world-class care to women, children and families locally, regionally and nationally, every day of the week. From fixing babies' hearts that are no bigger than a 50p piece, to delivering more than 8,000 babies every year, to brain surgery that offers a life free from epileptic fits - what we do changes lives forever.
We have one of the busiest children’s hospitals in the country, providing the widest range of children’s health services for young patients from Birmingham, the West Midlands and beyond, with more than 270,000 patient visits every year.
Our women’s hospital is a centre of excellence, providing a range of specialist health care services to more than 50,000 women and their families every year from Birmingham, the West Midlands and beyond.
We host the national miscarriage research centre and are a national centre for epilepsy surgery, liver and small bowel transplants and a centre of excellence for complex heart conditions, burns, cancer treatment, as well as liver and kidney disease. Our fertility centre is one of the best in the country and we are a leading major trauma centre for the West Midlands. We are also home to the largest mental health service in the country – Forward Thinking Birmingham.
We have a great history of innovation:
- World first to insert a pacemaker into a three-day old baby
- World first to separate twins conjoined at the spine
- First national, and Europe’s largest, research centre dedicated to reducing miscarriage rates
- UK first to successfully treat two patients with over 90% burns
- First UK triple transplant of liver, pancreas and small bowel
- First in Europe to rebuild a section of missing spine with metal rods
- First to use Formula 1 racing technology in £1.8m patient research study
Awards and achievements:
- Our Extracorporeal Life Support team was awarded a prestigious global ‘Excellence in Life Support’ accolade by the USA’s Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
- The Guardian Public Service Award 'Digital Excellence winner 2013'
- We were awarded 'Public sector PR Week Award 2013' for our real-time patient feedback app
- Association of Healthcare Communications and Marketing Awards (AHCM): Best Use of Innovation in Communications 2014
- Chief Nursing Officer’s Summit: Right Staff, Right Skills Award 2014
- Health Service Journal ‘Best Place to Work 2014’
- Health Service Journal Award finalist: Staff Engagement 2014
- Health Service Journal 100 Best Places to Work and Top 50 acute trusts 2014
- Health Service Journal ‘Provider Trust of the Year winner 2015'
- The Charles Beale Award for Policy Advancement at the 2017 University of Birmingham’s Founder’s Awards for Excellence. Given to our Consultant Gynaecologist for advancing research into maternal mortality reduction in developing countries
We go to great lengths to identify, teach, nurture and develop the skills of our present and future workforce, to enable access to clinical and non-clinical training and education to foster life-long learning.
Our aim is that all staff are appropriately equipped and qualified for the work they do and continue to learn and develop during their time with us. We continually look for ways to innovate and improve the service we all deliver so that our women, children and families receive a first-class service.
Research is a fundamental part of what we do and we are leading the way with pioneering international research into:
- Neonatal studies
- Childhood cancer
- Rare diseases
- Liver disease
- Infection, inflammation and immunity
- Nutrition, growth and metabolism in childhood
- Drug use in children
- Relapsed and refractory acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
- Infant neuroblastoma
- Infant brain tumours