Health and Wellbeing
The Health and Wellbeing team can to help you find and achieve personal wellbeing, share ideas that let you take control of your health, as well as cheer you on as you pursue your physical and mental health goals.
They also spend time being bothered about unfairness in health outcomes, and that some people have a harder life course because of things that are beyond their control. They want to do our bit to make things fairer for everyone.
Our Trust is the only Trust in the West Midlands to employ a Consultant in Public Health Medicine to help us make a difference, and we have a dedicated health professional leading what we do to improve the wellbeing of our patients and their families.
The team support a range of activities across our hospital sites including:
- A health and wellbeing information hub
- Routine screening for unhealthy weight and high blood pressure, including self-service machines at both our hospitals
- Giving opportunities to make a quit attempt to go smokefree and being a totally smokefree site at our Children’s hospital
- Providing healthier choices whenever we serve food and giving people information to help make better choices around food
- Regular events on key issues such as accident prevention or burns
- A network of ‘health promotion champions’ in our clinical areas to give you advice and support to take action
The team also get involved supporting change across Birmingham and further afield; for example around the impacts of air quality or how our food environment makes it hard to keep a healthy weight. They conduct research around building healthier communities, currently focussing on what messages are helpful to people visiting our hospital, and how they can support families where smoking impacts on the health of their baby or child.
There are some fantastic, free resources available you can use to take a positive step towards better health and wellbeing for you and your family. We particularly recommend:
Smokefree: You are four times more likely to stop smoking with support and there are health benefits within hours for you and those around you. Free online, text, phone or app support.
Visit NHS Smokefree
Change 4 Life: Creative ideas to help keep your family healthy including indoor and outdoor activities for children and tasty recipes that you can enjoy guilt free.
Visit Change 4 Life
NHS Live Well: Simple, clear advice on staying healthy. Cut through the confusion of whether tomatoes are good or bad for you with well-evidenced, easy-to-follow tips and ideas.
Visit NHS Live Well
You can ask in any of our clinical areas for what to do next to improve your health and wellbeing. If you’ve got any questions, get in touch via email.