Support and advice

A nurse using the phoneSupporting you is a vital part of what we do. Whether it's helping to find you an interpreter or pointing you in the right direction for a social worker, we can be on hand to help you before, during and after your stay.

Access to medical notes and health records

If you would like to access your medical notes or health records please contact our Patient Admin Services team directly on 0121 333 9714/0121 333 9705 or email

Interpreter services, including British sign language

We are committed to ensuring that all our women, children and families receive excellent communication throughout their journey with us, regardless of what language they speak.

Our interpreters are fluent in a number of languages. For languages that our interpreters don’t speak, we look to use an external translator. If you think you may require an interpreter please let the department you are visiting know well in advance of your appointment so that one can be arranged. Learn more about our interpreters.


Independent advocacy services

Should you need to access and speak with somebody from an independent advocacy service, you can take a look at the following organisations' websites:

NHS Complaints Advocacy – NHS Complaints Advocacy supports you when you need to make a complaint about any National Health Service function.

POhWER - POhWER provides Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy and Community Mental Health Advocacy.

Independent Advocacy - Independent Advocacy provide a wide range of specialist advocacy and related services across Warwickshire, Coventry, Solihull, and other areas, including Lincolnshire and the south coast.

Advocacy Matters – Advocacy Matters has been working with our children and young people to give them a voice as part of their ‘Hear Me Out’ project - they also offer a specialist advocacy service.

Complaints procedures and PALS

More than anything, we want what we do to be the very best that it can be for you and your family. If you are unhappy about any aspect of treatment or service you or your child has received at either of our hospitals, we want to know. Visit our complaints page to find out more.


HealthWatch is an independent organisation which aims to listen to and gather patients’ and families’ experiences of using local health and social care services, including hospitals. To find out more about their work, visit their website

Spiritual support

Our Chaplaincy team offer spiritual support for our children, young people and families of all religious beliefs and those of no particular belief at all. The multi-faith team give religious and spiritual support to lots of our families and staff. This includes prayer, bringing activities to children on wards, giving advice or just offering a listening ear at a difficult time. To find out more about what they do please visit their page

Travel reimbursement

If you receive one of the following benefits you are entitled to claim for travel cost for appointments for NHS treatment. These can be claimed at the Cashier’s Office.

Please note that payment cannot be made by Cashiers without the relevant documentation detailed below.

However, postal claims can be made by completion of an HC5 form.

  • 1 - Income Support
  • 2 - Income Based Employment Support Allowance
  • 3 - Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • 4 - Low-Income HC2 or HC3 Certificates
  • 5 - Tax Credits with an exemption certificate
  • 6 - Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • 7 - Universal Credit – if earnings are within the stated guidelines detailed in your most recent assessment letter (dated within 2 months of your appointment)

What Documents do I need to Claim Travelling Expenses?

  • - Proof that you are in receipt of one of the above benefits (dated within 12 months except item 7 above)
  • - Appointment letter or card
  • - Bus/Train ticket, Taxi receipt if applicable

How are the Travel Costs Calculated?

Patients travelling on public transport will be reimbursed for the lowest cost form of public transport (including any promotional or concessionary fares).

Patients travelling by private car may claim the lesser of, mileage allowance or equivalent public transport costs.

Claiming for taxi or escort costs

These costs may only be paid where deemed medically necessary in writing by your GP, Consultant or other healthcare professional involved in your care. Please note that escort costs will be paid on the basis of your eligibility not that of the escort. There are forms available from the Cashier’s Office for this purpose.


The following are not covered by this scheme:

  • Visiting a patient in hospital
  • Patients who discharge themselves from hospital at their own request
  • Private Patients

Cashier’s Office Opening Hours

Monday – Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm

Closed from 1.00pm-2.00pm (Lunch)

Closed – Weekends and Bank Holidays

General support and advice