We are committed to ensuring that our children, women and families receive excellent communication throughout their journey with us, regardless of which language they speak.
Due to Covid-19 we are currently not routinely arranging face-to-face interpreting, this may be offered in certain circumstances. However, we do have telephone or video interpreting available. We also have Dora, our interpreter-on-wheels, devices available 24/7 across Birmingham Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
Our Interpreting Services:
- In-house linkworkers and in-house bank interpreters available to interpret via telephone or video call.
- Professional interpreting agencies available for languages not covered by our in-house team.
- 24-hour telephone interpreting service, called Language Line.
- Dora, interpreter-on-wheels, devices across all our hospital sites 24/7
If you think you may need an interpreter, please let the department you are visiting know well in advance of your appointment so that one can be arranged. If you haven’t pre-booked an interpreter it may be possible that our telephone interpreting service or our Dora devices may still be available.
Enquiries and additional support
Our office is open from Monday to Friday from 08:30am to 4:30pm.
For enquiries about interpreting or additional support at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital:
0121 333 8015 / 07919 173281
Our Linkworkers help and support our women, men and families with their language needs. The languages they cover are Arabic, Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi.
They also help with the following:
- History booking
- Preparing your personal birth plan
- Explaining tests and procedures
- Explaining consent to procedures and ensure your understanding in agreeing your consent
- Supporting you with home visits with your community midwife, both before and after the birth of your baby
- Post-natal visits
Dora, interpreter-on-wheels devices
Dora is an interpreter-on-wheels; it uses FaceTime technology to connect you to professional interpreters based around the world.
There are four 24/7 languages – Arabic, Mandarin, Polish and Spanish. Additional 32 languages are available on a timetable including British Sign Language. If you need a language that is not available on video, you can still access 240 languages via audio 24/7.
There are 7 Dora devices across the Children’s Hospital and 8 across the Women’s Hospital.
Staff members are aware of where the devices are and will collect them when needed. You can also request for the device upon arrival.